Broadway: Bye Bye Birdie

Sunday, October 18, 2009

I saw Bye Bye Birdie over a month ago when the fam came to town. First, I would like to say that I saw it when it was only the third day of previews. The show may have changed a lot since when I saw it (I sure hope it did). Second, I want you to know that I love the musical Bye Bye Birdie. I watched the move hundreds of times growing up and could watch it another hundred times. It's just a fun story.

With that said...I was a little disappointed in the revival currently on Broadway. (don't be mad). I think I was disappointed because I was so excited to see it and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

For starters...I didn't really care for the set. While it was fun, I felt like it was a little weak. I also didn't really care for most of the choreography (my sister would disagree with me on that point). I found it just awkward. I did like "The Telephone Hour" scene. While I do embrace Gina Gershon (I loved her in Boeing Boeing), I didn't really love her in this. She starts the show with "English Teacher" and I knew we were in trouble the minute she started to sing. She's so much fun and a talented actress, but I just wasn't feeling her. Sorry. Bill Irwin (Mr. McAfee) did a really good job. I kind of think that he stole the show. He was great! It was fun seeing John Stamos (Albert) on stage. No, he's not the best actor ever, but he sure is a good entertainer. I also really liked Allie Trimm (Kim) and Nolan Funk (Conrad). One last kiss was my favorite scene of the whole show. Nolan was a doll!All in all. It's a cut show, but not really up to par with the other fabulous shows on Broadway. I am tempted to see it again to see if they changed anything, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend the money.

No comments :

Post a Comment