Broadway: I don't need a life that's normal...that's way to far away, but something next to normal would be ok.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

So, one of my current obsessions is the new musical, Next o Normal. Many people told me how amazing it was, but I was very spectacle that I would like it. My heart was true to Billy Elliot and Rock of Ages. I found it hard to believe that there could be another amazing new musical on Broadway. Oh, how I was wrong. There is plenty of Broadway love in my heart to go around.To tell you the truth I'm a little surprised I love this show as much as I do. I'm the kind of girl that likes the big musicals with all the bells and whistles. You know...the ones with crazy costumes, stunning sets, and ridiculously awesome dance numbers. Well, Next to Normal only really has one of these (The set and how they use it is very cool), but the music was just so amazing I couldn't help but fall in love. The cast was fabulous as well.

The topic of this musical is more serious than most I have seen, but I think they totally told the story well. Basically, it's the story of a mother who goes crazy after a traumatic event in her life. Her devoted husband does everything and anything he can to try and help her and get life back to normal, but of course that's not easy. Obviously there's a lot more to the story, but I don't want to give anything away.

I have been listening to the soundtrack over and over again since I saw the show. This show definitely belongs in my top five.

This is one of my favorite parts of the show. This clip doesn't do the song justice. It's one you need to see live and in person. (Just in case the video doesn't load, click here. It's the video called "I am the One.")


(Side note: there is quite a lot of swearing in the show and on the soundtrack. I'm not sure why I feel obligated to add this, but I know some people are very sensitive to it. It's not as much swearing as Jersey Boys, but it had quite a bit.)

No comments :

Post a Comment