Broadway: Macbeth - Something wicked this way comes!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I went to see Macbeth with a couple of friends last Friday. I’m not what you call a Macbeth fan, but it was staring Patrick Stewart and I am a fan of him! Anytime there is a celebrity that I know of in a play – I am so there.

I have to confess that I really, really enjoyed the play! I have only seen a high school production of Macbeth, so you can image how in awe I was with such a big production. I’ve never seen anything like it! Patrick Stewart did an amazing job! He is the perfect Macbeth. It took me a little while to get use to Lady Macbeth, but by the end I was really impressed with her performance as well.

This production of Macbeth was set in the 1950s. The set was simple with plain white walls, a sink, a fridge, and a few tables. They projected static black and white images on the walls. When Macbeth started to go crazy, blood started swirling in cool designs across the walls. I have to warn that it was a very bloody play. They only “murdered” two people on stage. All other killings were done off stage or the lights went out before they did it.
You know a play is good when you can’t get some of the images out of your head. The scene when Macbeth kills Lady McDuff and her kids is one I will never forget. It lasted less than a second, and yet it stayed with me. All scenes with the weird sisters (the witches) were unforgettable as well. They do a good job.

When I left the show I was a little overwhelmed and speechless. I have never seen anything like it! If you don’t mind a little blood, then you should go see it. There will never be a production like it.


No comments :

Post a Comment