Friday Favorites: Broadway Shows are my Favorite!

Friday, June 1, 2012

As many of you know I'm obsessed with Broadway and used to post little reviews on this blog. I just love going to see all the shows nominated for Tony's. My Broadway show intake has decreased drastically since getting married (which is ok by me since I love Jeff), so I have to choose wisely which shows I want to see. I have now seen three shows in 2012.


War Horse: Jeff and I went to see War Horse as a Valentines day treat. I'd heard great things about the show and Jeff and I had been talking for some time about seeing it.


The show was okay. I LOVED the puppets and how they used them to tell the story, but I didn't really care for it. The story was kind of slow in parts and seemed to drag on. It had a long running time and I think they could have cut out a few things. I know they needed to set up the story, but I thought they could have done it a little more quickly.

However, I'm really glad that I went to see it (seriously, the puppets were breathtaking). If anything go and see it for the puppets.

Newsies: I've always been a big Newsies fan and couldn't wait to see the show. Sarah and I bought tickets the day the box office opened, because we wanted the best seats in the house (luckily we bought them early because they raised the price of our tickets by $100 a few weeks later...phew).


We both LOVED it. The dancing was amazing and there was a great energy in the theater. I've heard that some people don't like the new songs, but I'm going to disagree. I thought they worked well with the story and were needed for a Broadway Musical.

They replaced Jacks quiet, awkward love interest in the movie with a fun quirky reporter (also replacing Bryan Denton - Bill Pullman's character). While I didn't really care for the vocal talent of the actress they chose, I really liked the idea of the character. Really improved the love story.

Jack did a really nice job. I don't know if it's Tony worthy, but I'm glad he got the nomination.

I just hope that it's still open when my family comes in September, because I would really like to see it again with them. I just know they will love it.


Once the Musical: Sarah and I wanted to celebrate our five year anniversary in the city with  dinner and a show...the best way possible! We decided to go see Once the Musical since it had the most Tony nominations, despite not knowing anything about it (I actually prefer it that way...makes everything more of a surprise)


How was it? The music is wonderful. The acting was superb. I really enjoyed the female lead (not at first, but she totally few on me). The show all in all was pleasantly simple. However, it wasn't my favorite. It wasn't my "type" of musical (I love the shows with the big song and dance numbers...like Newsies). I really appreciate the show and understand the the Tony nominations, but I probably would never go to see the show again or take family or friends.



What's next? Well, I'm hoping to get in to see Nice Work If You Can Get It and Evita this summer. I will let you know how that goes.


No comments :

Post a Comment