Battle of the Umbrellas

Friday, November 16, 2007


Singing In The Rain - The best video clips are right here

I’m from Washington. I am use to the rain. I didn’t watch “Singing in the Rain” in Washington, I lived it. While I do complain about it from time to time, I enjoy a stroll in the park in the rain now and then. Unfortunately, New York City is not as fond of the rain as I am. It seems like every time we have a heavy rain storm everything stops. The subways stop working and cabs are all taken, and everyone runs for cover.

On my way to work the other day I got off the subway and made the tree block walk to my office. It was gently raining and I decided that an umbrella wasn’t really necessary. As I made my way down the sidewalk I was completely over taken with frantic people and their weapons of destruction, their umbrellas. The sidewalks aren’t very big, and when there’s construction going on they are even smaller. People didn’t really seem to care and just brushed right past, not minding if they take an eye out with their umbrella. There’s just not enough room for all these people and their scary umbrellas.

It’s dangerous out there. I made a dash for the street thinking I would be safer against a car then the umbrellas. I watched as people rammed into each other and just exchanged nasty looks and then carried on their way. I enjoyed watching this, when I was not apart of it. I confess that the idea of walking in the rain now stresses me out. The only bright part of my journey was a woman with a clear umbrella that had pictures of cats on it. I must come up with a battle plan. I can’t live all winter like this.

No comments :

Post a Comment