Broadway: Hey! It's the Guy From Shrek...You Mean Shrek?

Saturday, May 24, 2008

As many of you know, they are turning Shrek into a Broadway musical. At first I was very apprehensive about this. To tell you the truth, I'm still not 100% sold. The Shrek costume will most definitely make or break the situation. The only reason I was going to go see it was because Sutton Foster will be playing Princess Fiona. I'm a big fan of her! Well, I was looking at the Shrek site today, and discovered that Chester Gregory II will be playing Donkey! I love him! I mentioned him in the post about Cry-Baby. Now I know I have to go see it just for him! It doesn’t come out until this fall, but I'm really excited now.

I also found out they are make a Bruce Lee musical that’s to come out in 2010. This is another one of those - "I don't know how I feel about that" shows. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

I saw "Passing Strange" a few nights ago. It has seven Tony nominations, so I thought I should go see it. Let me just say it’s strange. There were some seriously hilarious parts and some songs that grooved hard, but overall I wasn’t that into it. It’s not my kind of show. Stew, the narrator, has a great voice and added some fun comedic relief to the show.

The set was very simple (just a few chairs and a back wall with some serious light action going on), but the cast did a great job of making you feel like you were traveling to different places (even though the set hardly changed). The interaction with the band was fun too. I haven’t seen all the shows nominated for best musical yet, so I can’t cast judgment if I think it will win or not. I’m still waiting to see In The Heights. I hear it’s the one to beat.

No comments :

Post a Comment