I'm staying home

Thursday, February 6, 2014

For the past six years I have worked for an advertising agency in NYC as a digital data analyst. Basically I worked in the online and mobile world analyzing users usage of websites, social, CRM programs, and apps. I enjoyed my work (well, most days) and the agency I worked for treated me really well.

When I found out I was pregnant I knew a tough decision was ahead of me and I waited until the last possible moment to make it. Many of you asked, "Are you going to continue working or are you going to stay home." My answer was
always, "We are waiting to make that decision when the time comes." Well, the time has come. My maternity leave ended on February 3rd and two weeks ago today I called my boss and told him that I would be staying home with Cohen. Honestly I thought I was going to return to work, but somewhere deep down wanted to stay home with my baby.

For some this may have been a really easy decision. "Of course I will be returning to work...or...I'm totally staying home" For me it's one I really struggled with. My career (like many I imagine) is the kind that if you step away for a minute you become a dinosaur in the field and it's hard to get back into it. I knew that if I was going to stay at home with Cohen for more than a year, it would be very hard to get back into digital analytics since I would be so far behind on the latest and greatest measurement tools. I would basically be walking away from my profession.

Of course there were financial considerations as well. While we could afford for me to stay home now, would we always be able too? If I needed to go back to work, would I be able to find a job (see problem outlined above). I guess no one really knows the answers to these questions when they are making this kind of decision, but they still weighed heavily on me. Jeff and I discussed/dreamed of some part time working from home options, but those jobs are hard to get and we would still end up with having to get child care for Cohen.

Well, despite my concerns and after much prayer, discussions with Jeff and family and friends, I have decided to stay home. I might try to get some freelance work here and there to keep my foot in the door, but we shall see if that becomes a reality. I'm excited to spend more time with Cohen and be with him as he grows and learns, but I'm also nervous at the same time. I feel good about my decision and feel as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders....I just hope I will always feel this way ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment