Trek 2013

Monday, July 22, 2013

Every four years the youth in our stake go off on an adventure that we affectionately call Trek. Basically the youth dress up as pioneers and push/pull handcarts for several miles as a little reenactment of the Mormon pioneers that migrated across the United States to Utah.

I never hat the opportunity to do this as a youth so I was very intrigued by the trip. Jeff and I were thinking about being a Ma and Pa (leaders of one of the groups of youth), but we had to turn down the chance after we found out I was pregnant. I don't know why but walking for several miles in the heat of summer while being 24 weeks pregnant didn't sounds like a good time to me.

However, I was able to convince Jeff to go up and visit the kids last Friday. I was a little disappointed when we showed up and most of the youth were no longer in their pioneer clothes. I really don't blame them since it was like 100 degrees and humid and they had walked over 10 miles pushing the heavy handcarts. We spent the evening up there watching their evening entertainment. All the families took some time to sing a song about their travels. It ended up turning into a little open mic night with a few jokes, Shakespeare, and dancing. It was a really good time and I'm glad I went.

I'm just so impressed by these youth! It was such a hot and long trip, but when we saw them they were in good spirits and most glad that they made the trek. :)











1 comment :

  1. Your pictures look great! What a neat thing to get to help with!

    ReplyDelete