A Cast for Cohen

Saturday, July 18, 2015

I can't believe it's July and I have only posted once this year! Sad, sad, sad.  I know I always promise to be better, but I never am so I will just stop promising to post more. I have a lot of things to catch up on, so there might be a bunch of posts coming over the next week. We've been busy! I'm so glad it's summer!

I think the biggest news for this summer is that Cohen broke his elbow in June. Nineteen months old and already broke his arm! This totally makes me nervous. I hear Jeff frequented the hospital while growing up, and something tells me Cohen will be the exact same.

We were visiting Ben and Sharon in WI for Atticus's baby blessing and Cohen fell down the stairs on the last day and broke his arm. I just felt so bad for him! I just had a feeling that something was wrong, while others kept saying..."he's going to be fine." Cohen kept using his arm (although movement was limited), so we didn't know that he broke it. We gave him some medicine and put him to bed. He woke up at 2am screaming (meds wore off), so we gave him more and decided to just head to the airport early (we had a 6am flight so were planning on leaving at 3am anyways). How did I know something was REALLY wrong? Well, Cohen slept on me for almost the whole flight and let's just say he NEVER sleeps in my arms.

We landed in NYC at 10am. I dropped Jeff off at the train so he could go into the city for work and I drove Cohen home. After discovering that Brie had eaten part of a foam ball while we were away, I threw both her and Cohen in the car and drove to the vet to make sure she was ok. Well, she was ok, but Cohen's arm had started to swell. I decided to call he pediatrician and he saw us at 4pm and told us to go to the hospital for an x-ray. The hospital doc that reviews x-rays had gone home for the day, so I was told they would call me in an hour and tell me the results. So, after a lovely trip to the hospital (which Cohen HATED) I realized we had no food for dinner which meant I needed to go food shopping. I then fed Cohen dinner and tucked him into bed after a very very long day! At around 9:30pm I got a call from Cohen's doc who reached out to the hospital for the results and told me that Cohen had broke his elbow and that we needed to go back to the hospital for them to put a splint on it. Since the pediatric part of the ER closes at 10:30pm, we were in and out and had Cohen back in bed by 11pm! Jeff and I got to bed at around midnight. Remember we have been up since 2am! It may have been one of the longest days of my life!

Jeff had the honor of taking Cohen to a pediatric orthopedic the next day to get a fancy, blue cast put on! I hear it was not a fun experience for either Cohen or Jeff. While Cohen struggled initially to figure out how to get up with only one arm, he quickly got used to his new "hard" arm. He loved banging it on things and making noise. He actually got quite good at it and ended up being a good sport about the whole thing.

Luckily, Cohen only had the cast on for three weeks. The doctor told us that he could still see the fracture on the x-ray, but needed to keep the cast off. He told us to be "gentle" with it. I was like,  "yeah, right." He's a 20 month old and we have hard wood floors and tile in our house. Fingers crossed he doesn't break it again!

No comments :

Post a Comment